Saturday, March 21, 2009

Another year under the belt :)

Another birthday has come and gone. I'm 34, and can hardly believe how time flies...mostly since I've become a mom! Mostly, I go through my birthday with a quiet, inner celebration of another year of life. This year was different. My kids were so excited about my birthday, it was very special for them. They went out of their way to make my day special for me, showering me with love and kind words, and some really cute, thoughtful gifts. My oldest bought me a "gold" necklace (costume jewellery) and it has a really pretty "disco ball" pendant. Essentially, it's a ball full of little diamond gemstones all around it. I LOVE it!!!! My youngest bought me a package of toe rings which he felt completely suited me. One is a yellow flower, another is a yellow butterfly. They are all very pretty and they made me yearn for flip-flops and pretty painted toe nails! I can't wait to wear them! They both bought me beautiful bouquets of flowers and some red hotlips! Oh, and a delicious cake!! They truly spoiled me and for the first time since I reached my emotional maturaty, I truly felt special on my birthday.
You see, birthdays have never really been made special for me, not since my Grandpa (God rest his soul) was alive. Sure, my Grandma tried, but it's really not the same when a person who spent the entire year beating you up verbally all of a sudden takes the day off to "celebrate" you.
This year I had an epiphany of sorts. My 21st birthday was a milestone for me. My Mom (God rest her soul, too) didn't live to enjoy her 21st year. So that was pretty incredible for me. This year, turning 34 made me suddenly and alarmingly aware that I've lived 13 years longer than my Mom. So I decided that from this birthday on, I will celbrate that. All the beauty of being granted another year, healthy, happy and alive! Happy Birthday to ME!!!! (I love you, Mom! R.I.P)

1 comments:

Deborah said...

Hi Sandy...I'm sorry I missed your birthday... Belated best wishes!
It makes me so sad to read the bits and pieces that you share of your childhood...I'm so sorry we weren't there for you...we had no idea and really felt shut out...like you weren't part of our family anymore...even when we lived across the street from you, we didn't get to see you much.
I'm sorry...anything I say just sounds so lame...I just wish you didn't have to go through all that you did.

I'm just so proud of the strong lady and mom you've become, and I'm enjoying getting to know you a little more through your blogging.