Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Perils of a Loose Tooth

I'm a little late on this one, but I just figured out how to post a pic! My baby lost his first tooth. I might add, he's the first kid in his class (or so he says) to lose a tooth. So why did he have to be first, and yes I actually asked him this! LOL! It's been wiggly for a while now and we had the talk about when he loses them, I might cry...you know that kind of talk. I know you probably all think it's silly, but really as a Mom, I remember very well when he got that tooth. So, by rights, I am allowed to be emotional over the loss of it! It's not just the loss of the tooth, though. It's the underlying meanings that go along with it....like the fact that he's my last baby and that soon his cute little baby mouth will look all crazy with those big chicklettes that are too big for his mouth! And it also signifies the end of his baby-ish-ness! It's just another reminder that he's growing up! There's a part of me that just doesn't want to let my babies go! There's also a part of me (though I wouldn't say it's an equal part) that is looking forward to all that there is to come with them! It scares me that the older they get, the more influenced by outside sources they become and the less control I have over any given situations. They're becoming little people with the ability to make independent decisions (to a point), and who have their own opinions (and now feel completely entitled!!). I respect their uniqueness and their individuality but as a mom I certainly stuggle with the typical questions of am I instilling good values? Am I doing all I can to ensure that they believe in themselves? Have I assured them that no matter what it is, how serious it is or why, they can always come and talk to me? I really believe that if I continue to have the close relationship that I have with them, I will know if there is something wrong. And as silly as it may sound, I know that drugs get into the schools as early as the lower grades, and I hope and pray that I have done what I can to make sure that they make the right choices when I'm not around.
This is all because of ONE tooth loss. OMG, how many teeth does he have in his mouth? YIKES!

0 comments: